Note Plus by DreamMatrix (http://www.dm360.cc/) -- ☕☕☕☕ /☕☕☕☕☕
- Works on: Windows phone / iPhone – not available on Android
I went hunting for a simple app that would let me take notes
on the fly. Here’s my list of demands:
- Small footprint – not interested in downloading a huge app for a simple task
- Easy to read – clean interface with crisp fonts
- Customizable to suit my tastes
- What you see is what you get design – not interested in a steep learning curve just to write out my grocery list or quick note while on the subway
- Good contrast so writing is viewable without squinting
- Backup capable – not an essential, but occasionally I write down ideas for future posts and wanted a way of backing them up
- Fast – if your app takes more than 1 min to load it comes off my phone. Don’t waste my time.
- Categories – needs a method for organising my notes
- Piss off with the intrusive ads - ads are ok if it's a free app, but if a pop up ad appears I'm dumping your work.
That’s pretty much cribbed from my basic list of wants for any app, with a few special requirements tossed in. App size is a biggie – I am incredibly cheap when it comes to phones and refuse to spend $$$ when I don’t have to. I’d rather spend my money on art supplies or my stamp collection … and books… you
can never have too many books. I have a modest (very modest) little $79 pay as you go Windows phone – BLU Jr. with limited storage. Yes, I’m that cheap. I spend a galloping $35 a month for service, which includes messaging, 250 mgs of data (rarely use more than 150 mgs) and airtime. Phones are utilitarian – I use it for work and when I’m wandering around the city heading to jobs. It’s also a spiffing camera for on the fly shots. So this means I don’t want to waste a lot of time on an app that makes me wait around
while it decides to work or is so convoluted, I need a PhD in bad design to figure out how to make it work.
I tried a lot of apps before I found one that was easy to use and did what it was supposed to do – make taking quick notes easy. Notes Plus, by DreamMatrix ticks all the boxes. It’s easy to use, intuitive and I can create as categories in the vain hope I stay organised.
The app weighs in around 35 mgs, a relative lightweight in comparison to others I tested. It’s
nimble as well – opens in under 3 seconds. The screen is crisp and easy to read:
It’s easy to use, with virtual zero time figuring it out -> start the app -> start using it. I spent time adding and removing items and encountered no crashes, which is nice. As a bonus, the interface is customizable. Don’t like the default dark screen? Then flip over to Settings -> Basic and adjust from there. You can give it an iPhonesque look, blackboard, Deathnote (not sure, but they might be a band), underwater (nice
soft sea look) or the simple Metro layout (which is a bit too pastely for my tastes). You can download one of the other free skins if none of the in-app offerings float your boat.
You can also adjust the font size, which is invaluable for people tired of squinting at teeny tiny fonts.
If English isn’t your first language, you have 14 other language options. From the Settings screen, you can also set the app up to sync with your cloud account.
My one and only complaint centres around this small glitch:
The window never quite rolls over to give me a full view of the categories. I can still edit them, but it’s awkward. I always feel like I have to tilt to one side to see the screen. It’s actually a bit funny. I’m not sure if it’s just my phone or universal – if you have this app, let me know if it’s specific to my phone. I did a reinstall and the same glitch appears.
So if you are looking for a simple, clean app for note taking, this is the one.