Vanaia™ Scanwritr App Review ---- ☕☕☕☕ /☕☕☕☕☕
Works on: Win10 / Windows phone / IOS / Android / Blackberry
I have a nice little app for the road warrior. One of the most often requested for apps I’m asked to source is a good mobile scanner that will let a person do basic edits on a document. Vanaia™ Scanwritr ticks all the right boxes for either home or office use. As far as size goes, it's a real feather weight at around 8mb. Don't let the size fool you, it offers more functionality than heftier competitors, with less hassle.
It’s an excellent app to have if you are in the library doing research. You can quickly scan a page and store it to look at later. You can also scan just a section of the page if that’s all you need. If you are in a meeting, ScanWritr will let you take a quick scan of any notes being made, no need to go to the photocopier or scanner and transfer. Just fire up the app, let it scan and Bob’s your uncle!
The app will allow you to make quick edits, erase sections (I like to erase scribbled notes in margins) or type in additional notes directly on the scanned document. Once you’ve made corrections, you can email it or save it as a pdf. Speaking of pdfs,that is the one single component that makes this app so useful. You can save any scanned document as a pdf and store it in a folder on your device for future references (or emailing).
Here are the basics:
- The free version is good for the occasional use, upgrading offers added functions that are worth the modest fee.
- Basic WYSIWY get interface. You don’t need a degree in rocket science to figure it out
- Will allow you to import existing scanned documents
- Erase is easy to use
- Enhance/straighten built into the app. Quick touch-ups to brighten the document are fast and easy.
- Perfect if you don’t have access to a scanner or don’t want to cart around a load of papers. Just scan, save as pdf and come back to the document later
- You can export your scan to email with no fuss. The free version has a 5 page limit to export.
- ability to fax documents on a pay as you go basis
- Digital signatures can be inserted
Upgrading to the paid version will remove ads and give you a number of bonuses. If you are a road warrior or live on your mobile device, the small cost is well worth it. The ads aren’t distracting or take away from the functionality, just a bit annoying to accidently tap one and be pulled away from what you are doing. That has more to do with my fumble fingers than the app itself.
The only down side is it can be a bit tricky using on a phone, especially if you are all thumbs when it comes to tapping. Using it on a larger, touch enabled screen is far better. The screen can be a bit hard to line up when scanning.
Free version will allow 5 page limit exports. Allows all functionality, including creating pdfs and storing on phone
$2.29 for the basic – removes ads and the 5 page export cap. It will also watermark your emails
$4.59 pack, does the above, but adds the options to export to email, gallery, social media sharing and send to cloud. It also adds a print feature through Google Cloud Print.
Vanaia™ Scanwritr is one of those rare birds that works on multiple platforms – everything from Android to Win10, so if you have a mix ‘n match office, this is the app for you.