So, you’ve decided to take the plunge and update your iPhone/iPad to IOS8. A large number of people are complaining about the time it takes to install. One person I was talking to jumped for joy that it only took 1.5 hours to complete. But I’ve spoken to others who said it took 3 or 4 hours. Here are a few suggestions to help you out:
The single best advice you will get is plug your device into iTunes and update that way. Otherwise, you will grow old while waiting for it to download. It will require less space so you won’t have to go on a mass purging binge.
If you can’t plug into iTunes then:
- Make sure you have room on your device…. LOTS OF ROOM. It will need 5.8gigs to do the install so start purging those apps and moving your photos to the cloud
- BACKUP. Age old advice, but always backup before putting in such a huge update. Don’t risk losing all your photos because you were the one special person who discovered a new and fascinating bug that wiped everything. You should do this regardless. Never update without backing up.
- Be prepared for an app to vanish. Some apps no longer work when you upgrade. This always happens, regardless of your OS. There’s always at least one program or app that won’t work with an upgrade. File it under “shit happens”.
- Make plans to fill the time up while you are waiting for the update to install
Twitter seems to be a great place to hang out. #IOS8 will help you while away the time. If you don’t have access to an internet connection because, well you only have your iPhone or iPad and no other connection, here are some ideas to help you while away your time:
- get your Apple Beer Goggles on. Yup after a couple of beers, you just won’t care.
- take up ball room dancing. Fun and you get to meet real people
- reaquaint yourself with exactly why you stopped watching cable tv. Hey after 3 hours of the same crap, you’ll be crying tears of joy to get your iPhone running again.
- beat yourself up for not plugging into your computer and doing the update via iTunes. Invite friends over to berate you.
- spend the evening making new Lolcat posters
- create a chain mail titled “HELP I’M STUCK IN UPDATE HELL, SEND MONEY” and wait to see how much you make.
- scotch, single malt, if the beer doesn’t work.
- make bread from scratch. You’ll be so frustrated with the effort, you won’t even notice how long the update is taking
- sit on your balcony and watch the sun set, then the sun rise, then set, then rise. ‘